Wednesday, January 3, 2007

I must have just had a holiday...

I got to watch some movies recently - another advantage of holidays. Some of the films were good and others I am trying to forget about - quickly.

I highly recommend When We Were Kings, a documentary I've wanted to see for ages. I am not a fan of boxing but boxing became a sub-theme to the politics of imperialism and racism in the 1970s. Even though the film didn't include details on the US and CIA involvement in eliminating Zaire's Prime Minister Patrice Lumumba (in favor of Sese Seko), I can overlook this because the film was well done, and Muhammad Ali is just fascinating to watch.

I also saw the Cradle Will Rock again. Brilliant. I wish Tim Robbins would make more movies like this.

I enjoyed our annual screening of It's a Wonderful Life. Regardless of what some academics say, I think Capra was influenced by the Popular Front because it is just that kind of great movie.


(Here's a Mexican copy of the Rivera mural that Rockefeller had removed from Rockefeller Center. Wow!)

1 comment:

Cabiria said...

I love It's A Wonderful Life. Potter is the epitome of evil capitalists.