Wednesday, October 1, 2008

artificial light

I'm almost done with my chapter draft and the weight is lifting. (Thank you for the encouragement.) I can now see light at the end of my tunnel - but only if I don't look past this chapter to the four others waiting for me (my light will surely dim).

Several other developments are providing me with artificial levity and have improved my general outlook. Last Monday was the first day of fall. Like someone else I know, I love fall. It is my favorite season. We don't get much in the form of "seasons" around these parts, but I remember well what fall looks like and I'm enjoying my seasonal reminisce. Assisting me in this endeavor is my neat, new gizmo. We cashed in all our chips (i.e. credit card rewards) and got a sweet new computer. I'm told it can make a good toy, but I haven't had time to explore this yet. I have, though, found the appropriate wallpaper (below). Finally, my artificial buoyancy is also partially attributable to my rediscovery of our store of adult beverages. This really helped take the edge off my anxiety. In fact, I decompressed enough to sing to my chapter as I worked (you know the song,... barenaked ladies, "...I love you more than I did the week before I discovered alcohol...). I can't believe I didn't hit upon this solution sooner.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to tomorrow evening. I plan to settle in, relax, and watch Gwen Ifill make the vp's squirm. I have long admired a Ifill, but I think I became a fan four years ago when she stuck it to Edwards/Cheney with a question about what their candidates would do to counter the recent rise in HIV infections. Their cram sessions didn't include this one; both of them were completely stumped. After the debate fun, I may even try out the civilization game that R keeps trying to tempt me with.

3 comments:

another kind of nerd said...

Very pretty! And I'm glad there's light at the end of the tunnel!

And I recommend Hendricks gin!

kungfuramone said...

I cannot believe you hadn't hit upon the cause of and solution to all of life's problems yet, V. Why do you think I write so fast?! :P

SuperJew said...

I too love fall! I definitely will miss that season this year. Love the new mac, I became a mac convert just before prelims, they're the best!
BTW, I saw Sparrow on your list of things your reading. I was just about to check that out of UH, is it any good?