Friday, April 18, 2008

crackerjack!

I just finished drafting my "chapter one"! Ye-ha!

I can't do a crackerjack (others label it, uninterestingly, a 'heel click'), but I will have to learn how because now is a perfect time to execute one. (This is something I'm sure E can do; perhaps she will teach me how?) I made myself wrap it up today a few days beyond the deadline I imposed on myself weeks ago. And you know, the deadline worked for me; it is good to be done with stuff.

I can't say that this draft is the pristine, complete version I want to go into the final dissertation. (And I have to admit that I continue to struggle with the desire to fuss and modify it.) But it is in a condition that I would present to Advisor - a prospect that fills me with some anxiety even though she is a most generous critic. I would say that the chapter, as it currently stands, contributes the point that colonial citizenship did exist in the U.S. and that it has a long, distinguished career.

While I'm at it, I really must acknowledge Cabiria who confirmed my suspicion that two MajorPoints was too much for one chapter to contain. (Thanks!) I split them up which now allows me to claim that one is complete. I should also acknowledge Lindt chocolates for giving me that extra boost in the evenings (after little S had gone to bed) when I didn't think I could go on. :)

Overall, this last haul made my brain numb and made me tense enough to keep away sleep (nothing new there). I hope to rest up a bit over the next month and a half or so. My next deadline is the first of June.

The crakerjack king:

6 comments:

the rambler said...

I will do a crackerjack for you in celebration! Congrats on the first chapter. The next ones will roll along!

Cabiria said...

Congratulations! Bravo on the doneness!

Rachel said...

yay!! Congratulations!! another reason I'm not a good academic - I couldn't meet my own deadlines. :) and hooray for Lindt chocolates!

another kind of nerd said...

I can totally teach you to crackerjack! Even more impressive is, your friend and mine, MattO. That gentleman can pull off a double click... try to wrap your brain around that!

another kind of nerd said...

Congrats, by the bye! ;-)

SuperJew said...

Congratulations! And it absolutely deserve an E heel click and perhaps even her snoopy dance to boot!