Monday, May 5, 2008

occupational hazards

I am tapped. I had to wind down (my admittedly short) workday early today. I was all out of pluck. I tried shifting from reading, reading, reading to writing and I stared at the screen for half an hour. I've been reading newspapers - ten years worth of newspapers - and the last two years are killing me. I'm overwhelmed with information. My head is literally spinning - that is, as I sit here typing my head feels like a top wobbling on my neck right before it topples to the side.

I won't go into the psychosis I'm developing as a result of my isolated and focused occupation, but I should mention that I think I'm developing a vulture neck. I bow my head to read books, photocopies, and my laptop; I rarely look straight ahead. I can feel this in the base of my neck. Beware. I'll look different when next you see me.*

I'm also developing a condition I call "dissertator's elbow." Most of the day, my left elbow sits on the desk or is pinned under my forearm which supports my chin (as I amble on to something or other). It is becoming nicely red and inflamed.

While I think I was prepared for this phase of professionalization, I didn't anticipate the injuries that go along with it.

*yeah, that's the neck.

TOTALLY UNRELATED ADDENDUM: Have you been following the Democratic primary? Check out this great story by Betsy Reed (at The Nation).

3 comments:

SuperJew said...

Sounds like we're gonna have to get you some elbow pads and a neck brace to get you through this whole research mess! Sounds scary, but not entirely surprising. I say that because I was pretty much in physical therapy the whole time I was prepping for prelims because my arms, neck, wrists were all messed up from the reading and typing notes. I literally had both heat and ice packs on my most days. So much for picking a profession with minimal occupational injuries huh? Uggh, hang in there!

Trust in Steel said...

I relate in how this occupation is very bad for one's health. I feel worse than ever.

Cabiria said...

It is ridiculous that we injure ourselves reading books isn't it? But I totally feel you on the vulture neck and dissertator's elbow.