Saturday, December 8, 2007

flicks

I saw Sicko a few days ago and enjoyed it very much. I was appalled; I was saddened but it also made me laugh. I appreciate Moore's sarcasm, sense of irony and injustice, and his use of juxtaposition in telling this story. (The only beat he missed was when he explained how Western European countries developed nation-wide health care following World War II; he didn't explain that they did so on U.S. tax dollars thanks to the Marshall plan. This is an irony that I'm sure Moore have included if he had had it in hand.)

The best line from the movie came from a young couple taking their newborn home from a British hospital: "This isn't America" followed by laughter. It's brilliant; you can see it here.

My point is that I've seen a lot of good flicks, most of which were recommended by the lovely people whose blogs are here on the right. I enjoyed Atomic Cafe and Thank you for Smoking, and City of Men is in the queue. The holiday lull is fast approaching, so what other great flicks can you recommend to me?

3 comments:

ktjane said...

hello, a friend just sent me a link to your blog... i recommend seeing the movie "what would jesus buy" produced by morgan spurlock (supersize me)

Rachel said...

I recently got 'Goodbye Lenin' on Netflix - it was pretty good.

Cabiria said...

You've seen "Waitress," right? If not, do!