- Orange and Los Angeles Counties have a mass transit train network (unfortunately the closest stop to UCLA is 9 miles away).
- The County of LA Public Library has a huge untapped store of Asian American newspapers from the 1880s to the present (they haven't even cataloged them). I will tap it.
- An immersion blender can make nearly-perfect whipped-cream in about 3.1 minutes.
- Hein Online has it all (and just became my favorite source for legal info). It has not only all major law journals but also a complete run of Federal Statutes - all of them, forever. (Previously I had to hunt for a really big law library that had these in print, then drive and drive and drive to get there.)
Other stuff I learned (that wasn't cool):
- the up-and-coming scholar in the general field of my dissertation did some oral histories some years back. But she won't be sharing those.
- a full week of kindergarten makes four-year olds very tired (and grumpy).